Member manors

Member manors

Kurtuvėnai Manor

Manager – Directorate of Kurtuvėnai Regional Park

Dvaro adresas: Parko g. 2, Kurtuvėnų k., Bubių sen., Šiaulių r., LT-80019

Kurtuvėnai manor farmstead

Kurtuvėnai manor is classed to the most oldest Lithuania manors. Written sources tell, that in 1498 nobleman Mikalojus Jaugėlavičius (Jawgielowicz) gave the village with 6 citizens as a present. In the foundation documents Mikalojus Jaugėlavaičius claims to be the father of Kurtuvėnai (haeres de Curtowiany).

In the first half of XVI c. Kurtuvėnai got into the hands of Lithuania nobleman Kęsgailos family. In the middle of XVI c. the farmstead was bought by Kražiai vicegerent Stanislovas Skaševskis an intelligent person with modern viewpoint. When he bought and exchanged the land, he established his lands around Kurtuvėnai. When Shačevskiai ruled, the manor was re-established according to the principles of valakai reform, the catalytic Kurtuvėnai church became evangelic reformat. In 1592 more than 20 wooden structures consisted the manor, from them five structures were suitable for living.

In XVII c. unfavourable political and economic changes had an effect for the development of Kurtuvėnai manor. Farmstead changed the masters for a few times, it was left nearly without any citizens after a plague epidemic and suffered because of the wars with Sweden. In XVII c. Samogitia noblemen Zarankos, Skaudvilos, Kniaževičiai, who ruled Kurtuvėnai manor, weren't equal neither with their wealth nor with their power in the country to Skaševskiai.
In the beginning of XVIII c. manor was bought by Pranciškus Nagurskis (1717-1751). Three generations of Nagurskiai ruled Kurtuvėnai for the whole century. Manor prospered, wooden baroque style structure complex emerged in the farmstead. Without the annually cleaned, renewed mansion, there were the servants quarters, a brickyard, a magazine (cellar), a treasury, a granary, a smithy, a brewery, an agricultural enterprise, a barn, a garden, a torch-house, the kennels, a mill. With Jokūbas Nagurskis (Jakub Nagusrki, 1752-1789) means, the stoned Kurtuvėnai church was built.

Nagurskiai are not only associated as the biggest, but also as the most modern XVIII c. Lithuania Grand Duchy landlords. The family participated in the fights for 1791 April 3rd Constitution and the 1794 uprising.In 1800 Kajetonas Nagurskis (Kajetan Nagurski, 1765-1802) was one of the first ones in Lithuania, who granted serfs freedom with the testimony.
In the beginning of XIX c. the fate of Kurtuvėnai manor was in courts judgment, because the last Nagurskis – Kajetonas – didn't leave any direct heirs. Finally the property was left to Joana Nagurskaite, who married K. Žukauskas. The man made hard conditions for the serfdom , got into conflict with the peasants. After Žukauskai, Kurtuvėnai for a short time were ruled by Bulgarinai, Tiškevičiai, Parčevskiai.

In 1862 graph Henrikas Pliateris (Hendryk Plater Zyberk 1811-1903) bought the manor for his son Liudvikas Pliateris (Ludwik Plater Zyberk, 1853-1939). Pliateriai, who were the owners of Kurtuvėnai for almost 8 decades, modernised manor farming, established the biggest Lithuania fishing pond farm, started to change wooden farmstead structures to stoned ones. New manor mansion, stables and peasants quarters rose in the manor location.

In the beginning of XX c. Kurtuvėnai manor not only was a centre of land economy, but also a centre of culture. In 1902-1903 the children of Pliateriai were thought by democratic thought pioneer Povilas Višinskis (1875-1906), there were writers, who were guests of Višinskis such as Jonas Biliūnas, Žemaitė, Šatrijos Ragana. The roads of book carriers went through Kurtuvėnai.

During the Independent Lithuania times Kurtuvėnai manor, which was ruled by Pliateriai was acknowledged as the example farm. In 1940 the Soviet government banished the last manor owner Stanislovas Pliateris (Stanislaw Plater Zyberk 1889-1955) to Siberia and nationalised the farmstead. During the II-ond world war a German appointed administrator took care of the farm. In the Soviet times the former manor location belonged to Bubiai soviet farm. In the last decade of XX c. the manor was managed by Kurtuvėnai regional park administration.

In XXI st. c. the farmstead was reborn. In 2006 a barn rose from ashes, regional park visitor centre is functioning, concerts, galleries and conferences are being organised. In the rebuilt peasants quarters Kurtuvėnai regional park direction works , in the former manor stables there is a Ridding service centre. In 2008 the historical manor park structure, a fence, the mansion terrace with balustrade, a little house of the gardener was recreated, the ponds, a crocket square was recreated and a camping site established.


You need to enable javascript in order to user google maps.